Area Rugs/Window Treatment - Questions Answered

THIS POST IS FROM ROOM REMIX - THE BLOG .

Phoebe Howard

There were a couple of questions on the "Large Impact vs. Small Accessories" post, so I thought I would answer them in a post in case some of you had the same questions. As with anything I talk about on this blog, these are my opinions based on my experiences, what I've been taught, and personal preference. I've learned long ago that my opinion is not the only one and that I'm not the source of all wisdom and knowledge, so if your opinion or experience varies from mine, I'm cool with that. :-)

QUESTION 1: Do you think it'd be too boring to do solid colors for both the windows and the rug?
ANSWER: There are many successful rooms that are done using solid colors for both the window treatments and the rugs. I've shown one example at the beginnning of this post. One way to avoid being boring, if that's a concern, would be to add trim to the window treatment and use a very textural rug as they did in the room below. If you're not a fan of pattern OR color, even very neutral rooms without much pattern can be made interesting just by using a variety of finishes and textures. This room by Phoebe Howard is a great example of that.

Southern Living via myhomeideas.com Van Chaplin; Charles Walton IV

QUESTION 2: How do you feel about rugs on top of carpet? I love a rug on a hardwood or tile floor but not sure about on carpet.
ANSWER: If your space needs an area rug to add a different texture, define a seating area, pull some colors together or add color that doesn't exist, it doesn't matter to me if it's hardwood or carpet, you still need it. The rug in the living room below doesn't look expensive and it's not some totally unique pattern or color, but imagine the room without it. It really defines the seating area and the slightly darker color grounds the space.

myhomeideas.com Photo:IPC Images

QUESTION 3: Are they a pain to vacuum around and under when they're on carpet?
ANSWER: I have an area rug on my carpet in my family room and I've never had any trouble vacuuming on, under or around it. A carpet pad will help keep thinner rugs in place.

House Beautiful Photo: Jose Picayo

Hope you're all having a great weekend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...